Institucional Information
Universidad de Antioquia
Universidad de Antioquia

Universidad de Antioquia 1971
Campus de la Universidad de Antioquia Fotografía tomada por Gabriel Carvajal. 1971
The Universidad de Antioquia is a public University that was established in 1803 as a high school–monastery called “Real Colegio de Franciscanos”. After the Colombian independence from the Spaniards in 1822, its name was changed to “Colegio de Antioquia”. In 1871, the “Universidad de Antioquia” was consolidated as a college with the schools of Literature and Philosophy, Engineering, Physics and Natural Sciences, Medicine and Law. The schools and faculties of the University were spread out all around the city of Medellin until the end of the 60´s, when the main campus was built. Currently, most of the undergraduate and graduate programs of the Universidad de Antioquia are offered in this campus.

The government policies of the end on the 90´s asked for an increased enrollment in higher education. New buildings were constructed to answer to the need for space. Most of the University research groups have their lab and office space in the new building know as “Sede de Investigación Universitaria (SIU)”.

The University outreach program has a new building outside the main campus called “Edificio de Extensión”. The faculty of Engineering has a new building called “Bloque 19”. The entrepreneurship park or “Parque del Emprendimiento” was built outside the main campus to promote the creation of new enterprises. New regional campuses were opened in other towns like : Bajo Cauca, Magdalena Medio (Puerto Berrio), Uraba (Turbo), Suroeste (Andes), Oriente (Sonson), Occidente (Santafé de Antioquia), Nordeste (Amalfi y Segovia), Norte (Yarumal), and Envigado.
Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales
Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales

Fuente Universidad de Antioquia
The “Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales” (Faculty of Exact and Natural Sciences) is an academic dependence of the Universidad de Antioquia, created by the University Board of Trustees on December 8, 1980. The “Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales” consists of the institutes of Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, and the department of Mathematics. This faculty also has the center for research called “Centro de Investigaciones en Ciencias Exactas y Naturales (CIEN)”, the herbarium, and the faculty center for community outreach programs called “Centro de Extensión”.

The faculty’s mission statement is based on the development and the spread of scientific and technological knowledge in the fields of Biology, Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry. Besides, the faculty develops undergraduate and graduate academic programs, promotes research activities, and outreach programs, based on interdisciplinariety, cooperation and the integral formation of its students to contribute to the scientific, political, social, and economical development of the region and of the country.



Instituto de Química
Instituto de Química

Bloque 1 Universidad de Antioquia
The Institute of Chemistry was created in 1962 with the Institute of General Studies of the University.

At the beginning, The “Instituto de Química” was focused in offering courses to other academic programs without having its own. Basic Chemistry courses were offered to students enrolled in the programs of Medicine, Veterinary, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Education, and Chemical Engineering, among others. The “Instituto de Química” administered two programs after 1967. The first one was the degree in sciences with specialization in Chemistry. This program had a duration of eight semesters. The second was “Técnicas de Laboratorio Químico (Techniques for the Chemistry lab), established by means of the “Acuerdo 48 del Consejo Superior Universitario” and with a duration of five semesters.

The programs created in 1967 had fulfilled all the requirements and they needed to grow in order to improve the occupational profile of their alumni. After 1975, the Instituto de Química was authorized by the Colombian Institute to promote higher education (ICFES , in Spanish) and by the Ministry of Education, in the “Acuerdo # 10 of January 22” to change the degree’s name from “Licenciado en Ciencias” to “Químico”.

Currently, the programs of Chemistry and Technological Chemistry have a high quality group of professors. There are 37 professors with Ph.D. degree, six with masters, two Ph.D. candidates, 4 with Bachelors degree, and one specialist. These professors guide students in research areas as diverse as organic chemistry of natural products, coal chemistry, analysis of residues, catalysts and adsorbents, etc.

The Instituto de Química offers the following graduate programs: Specialization in Forensic Sciences, masters and doctorate in Chemical Sciences. The doctorate program has been approved by the Council for Higher Education (Consejo de la Educación Superior CESU) and the first group of students started in the second semester of 1997.

Universidad de Antioquia Universidad de Antioquia
Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales
Instituto de Química Instituto de Química

|| Site Map || Contact Us || Designed By: Amira Group || 2008